Mid-weight UI Designer
24th May 2019
For over a decade The Unit has helped everyone from startups to global brands design and build digital products that are simple, beautiful and easy to use.
We’re looking for an experienced Mid-weight UI Designer with a genuine passion for digital design, brand and technology to work on a range of diverse projects. Based in our central Brighton studio in the heart of the North Laine, you’ll be collaborating with our multidisciplinary team of Senior UI/UX Designers, PMs and Developers. In turn you’ll be mentored and supported by our talented team who will help you develop your skills and hone your talents.
We need someone with a creative, hands-on approach and the ability to visualise a project's essence, taking it from initial idea to a brilliantly crafted execution. You’ll hit the ground running and work closely with clients from day one, designing digital products for global brands. Working across multiple projects to meet clients’ strategic business objectives, you’ll have the confidence to articulate your ideas to internal and external stakeholders.
We’d love you to have
- At least 3 years’ hands on experience
- A good understanding of designing intuitive site functionality, interaction, site architecture, user interfaces, and navigation
- A solid understanding of UX design, wireframing, prototyping and user-centred design processes
- A good awareness of new digital trends and technology
- A good knowledge of Sketch, InVision and Adobe suite essentials
- The ability to collaborate at a whiteboard or on paper with other creatives
- The ability to work within existing brand guidelines, but also the capacity to think differently and be able to challenge existing design patterns, when required
- Excellent communication and client-facing skills, with the confidence to actively contribute to design workshops with clients
Bonus skills (great to have, but not essential)
- Other digital design/technical skills such as motion graphics, 3D video
- Design for accessibility knowledge
You’ll be passionate about design with a keen eye for detail and an interest in emerging technologies. You’ll value your personal development, so we’ll provide you with an annual training budget to spend on what really interests you and helps you to flourish.
You’ll have a strong work ethic and a proactive approach to everything you do with a genuine enthusiasm for your discipline. There are no lone wolves in our pack so you’ll be a team player who can build rapport quickly.
- Salary 30-50k depending on experience
- Modern studio in the heart of Brighton’s North Laine
- Generous personal development budget to invest in your career
- Flexible working
- 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Friendly, sociable team
- Friday beers and regular socials
- Bike to work scheme
Please send a current CV and covering letter to [email protected]
Please apply with a cover letter that tells us a bit about yourself, what you’re up to, why you applied for the role and what you feel you can bring to the Unit. We would also like to see a portfolio that showcases your branding and design work across responsive websites, apps, web apps or digital advertising.